Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year 2012

Happy New Year.  Wow, it is already 2012.  How are your goals so far?  What resolutions did you make?  One way to make your resolution or goal attainable is to know how to set a goal properly.  It is too hard to reach a goal when you don't know how much or when the deadine is?  How do I really set a reasonable, attainable goal?  However, realize this is YOUR GOAL.  What you put into it is what you will receive!!  


SMART Goals
A useful way of making goals more powerful is to use the SMART mnemonic.  SMART usually stands for:
S - Specific (or Significant).
M - Measurable (or Meaningful).
A - Attainable (or Action-Oriented).
R - Relevant (or Rewarding).
T - Time-bound (or Trackable).


EXAMPLE (this is actually my goal this year):

Instead of saying I want to lose weight (too vague) we need to use the SMART formula:


S=set a specific goal such as I want to lose 25 pounds (because I want to be healthier)

M=before next January 1, 2013. 

A=I really want to lose 50-but I will start with 25 and make sure it is attainable.

R= reward myself at the end of each month.  I need to find a substitute for food being the reward.  The reward will start with more comfortable fitting clothes and more energy.  I will also re-evaluate my goal as time progresses.  Just be careful not to start making excuses for not completing your goal.

T=weigh yourself once a week and write it down so I can see the success.  As time progresses, you may need to re-evaluate your goal (so you will succeed).

Start today.  50 pounds by year end would be my ultimate goal.  Sounds easy, only one pound per week.  REASONABLY-according to the above formula, 1/2 pound per week is more attainable for me.  I always start out strong but get bored or lazy and stop.  1/2 pound per week allows for those times I over-indulge or plateau.  However, I am praying that as I start to lose weight and start to feel better, I will be able to re-evaluate my goal and adjust it accordingly.  Be sensible, be honest with yourself and start today.  God bless you this year!! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment